A Midsummer Night's Dream


photo via cityout.lt & alfa.lt
One friend of mine recently asked me, what was the best Lithuanian movie I've ever seen and I quickly replied "Nut Bread", which I've already told you about.
So today I was thinking about the best Lithuanian play I've ever seen and that was much more difficult to answer.
Lithuanian theater is magnetic, there are many directors (Oskaras Koršunovas, Rimas Tuminas, Cezaris Graužinis, Gintaras Varnas and many others), whose plays travel all around the world and amaze different audience. I love Lithuanian theater myself and I usually go there at least once a month when I'm in Vilnius, so I've already seen over 20 plays (if I didn't forget something!).
It was very difficult to decide, which one is the best, because they all have different kinds, but I think that the most versatile, the one that absolutely charmed me was a play by William Shakespeare "A Midsummer Night's Dream", directed by O. Koršunovas. 
One of the surprising ideas was that during the play all the actors were wearing overalls and they looked like blue-workers, all the same, no matter if someone is the king or the servant. The play shows the time of XVI - XVII century, but suddenly it didn't matter who those people were, what was the time and space, the story was more important than the outward itself.
Another astonishing idea was that every actor during the play had a board and it seemed like they were hiding from the audience, so everyone could use their imagination to fulfill missing pieces with their point of view. The other thought that I had was that every man has some burden of life that they always have to carry out with themselves, no matter who they are or how they live.
There were more ideas that only the audience could answer and all the play was very fun and dynamic, it had some ironic point of view, which you can find in some different scenes.
Here is a short video
(I'm so sorry it's Lithuanian, I couldn't find it in English), the acting of Rasa Samuolytė is stunning! [14:14]

xoxo,
Ak.

No comments:

Post a Comment