Nut Bread


Today I want to represent you one of my most beloved movie - "Nut Bread".
Before that I have one thing to confess: I don't really like lithuanian cinema, even though I really love my country and its unique culture.
I think the problem is that we don't have the culture of creating movies, because we only regain our independence from the Soviet Union 21 years ago, so our culture, which was restrained for many years, today is still recovering.
But there are a few lithuanian movies that I really adore. And one of them is "Nut Bread", which I absolutely love!
The movie was filmed in 1978 on the basis of lithuanian writer's S. Šaltenis story. It is the first lithuanian tragicomedy. This story is about two families that live in the neighborhood in some lithuanian village. Both families reflects typical characteristics of lithuanian people, but the view of it is painted in quite ironic and absurd colors, which makes the movie quite funny. It is also a story about first love, about first true feelings that comes to the young and free hearts. Somebody once said that it is lithuanian version of Romeo and Juliet story and I think it's really true. The movie is full of unexpected details that gives more meanings to the story - for example, the clock that is immersed into the well, when the grandfather dies. You can even find some allusions to the "stalinistic" point of view that actors somehow convey - for example, military training that is practiced at school.
I highly recommend you to watch it - it's an amazing, adorable & charming story that will steal your heart!
The whole movie (with english subtitles!) you can find HERE!
Enjoy!
xoxo,
AK.
p. s. the first (black and white) photo is my favorite! I even have it on my commode in my apartment in Vilnius. :))
photos via acmefilm.lt

No comments:

Post a Comment